Thursday, July 28, 2011

Talent of the Month: An Interview with Paul Michael Kennelly

"Tom Force was so great to work with, he was very helpful and incredibly patient. He told me that he wouldn't let me out of the studio until my demo was perfect and because of that, my demo is AWESOME!"


Some might say that Paul was destined to be a voiceover actor, that it was "in his blood". Paul's father was a sportscaster on TV & radio and Paul would tag along with him to work whenever possible. As Paul grew up and his voice started changing, friends and colleagues would ask him jokingly when he was going to "take the old man's job". Paul never really considered it seriously until his father passed away in 1999. Paul had a reawakening at that time, a fire reignited for his passion of voiceovers and he started to wonder if people heard something in his voice that he just took for granted all of these years. He started asking around, his dad's former coworkers bluntly told him that if he didn't at least try to pursue voiceovers that he would be wasting the greatest gift his father ever gave to him, his voice. "People told me for years that they can close their eyes and hear my dad when I speak, how could I not give it a shot?"


Paul decided to try to take a shot on his own and he went into a NYC studio to record a demo. Unfortunately, he found out very quickly that agents don't want to work with you unless you're already working. He would audition here and there but wasn't getting anywhere. He had his first break when his cousin Chris moved east. Chris worked at a production company in downtown Manhattan and he would call Paul anytime there was a casting call for voice work. He landed his first big job with the company Mike's Hard Lemonade. "Three minutes in the booth and $750 in my pocket! It was so great and I realized this WAS something I could do". Unfortunately it wasn't long lasting, only a few months down the road, Paul's cousin Chris passed away and Paul's connection for a steady stream of auditions disappeared, along with a much-loved relative. Soon thereafter, Paul and his wife gave birth to a little redhead and Paul placed his voiceover work on the back burner to focus on a more steady career in the sheet metal industry.


Paul's dream of working in voiceovers never faded and he always wondered in the back of his mind what might've happened with his voiceover career, until one evening when Paul came home and his wife had bookmarked up a web link she thought he may be interested in looking at. "I pulled it up and saw that it was for Such A Voice, and I instantly knew I was going to do it. I had put this dream on hold long enough".


Paul worked with Tom Force and is incredibly pleased with the way things have turned out so far. "Tom Force was so great to work with, he was very helpful and incredibly patient. He told me that he wouldn't let me out of the studio until my demo was perfect and because of that, my demo is AWESOME!"


Since receiving his demo, Paul has been diligently auditioning for work and has been working on other aspects of his voiceover career as well. "You need to market yourself to make it in this business! Also, I love to work with Pro Tools and am just super happy to follow my dreams after this time". We have no doubt that Paul's passion and determination for voiceovers will take him far!


As far as a piece of advice from Paul? "You have to want it! Don’t think this will just fall into your lap. Just don't quit, somewhere out there is someone looking for YOUR voice!"

We look forward to seeing where your journey takes you next, Paul!


Written by:
Bethany Baker
Such A Voice Marketing Director

No comments:

Post a Comment