Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Meet Our Staff: Dave Tolar


Once a month, Such A Voice will be highlighting a member of our staff to give you a little insight into who they are & what they do here at Such A Voice to help you get to know the people behind-the-scenes!

Meet David Tolar. Dave has had a long history in voiceovers working with various radio stations. Being an on-air talent, he always found himself in the role of having to do voiceovers within those various radio stations. Years later he was asked by a Boston studio to come in and lend his voice for a series of different projects. He was rehearsing with his band in one room and working on voiceover projects in the next and he loved every minute of it! He has had the pleasure of working with such clients as Hasbro, W Hotels, WNBA, McGraw/Hill and has also lent his voice on several independent documentary films. Dave is also a past student of the Such A Voice program and always admired the fun, patient and helpful demeanor of the staff members at Such A Voice through his experience as a student. These are just a few of the reasons why Dave was so eager when the opportunity arose to apply for the position of coach & teacher at Such A Voice. Dave is one of the people in charge of coaching our students to develop/refine their talent and to prepare them to record their demos as well as going into the studio to produce them! Dave is based on the east coast in the picturesque town of Millis, MA (about an hour outside of Boston) where he has lived his entire life.


We were excited to learn more about the life of David Tolar:


What are a few of your passions?

I absolutely love music and am surrounded by it in many ways. I have been performing since age 5. I'm currently working with the band AGONA (featuring the talents of Agona Hardison, you can check out her work at www.agonahardison.com). Her new album just came out, it is called "The Drive", and it's amazing!


I also released an album in October 2010 with a "songwriting collective" titled "LOOK! A PONY!". You can listen to that at www.reverbnation.com/lookapony. There were just two of us in my home studio for this collaboration.


My parents had very diverse tastes in music, which has given me the eclectic sound I have today. I can trace the root of my musical passion back to seeing The Beatles perform on "The Ed Sullivan Show". I really am the sum of all I have heard.


I'm also an avid photographer, audio engineer, DJ and writer/editor. You could say I have a bit of a creative streak running through me!


Where is your favorite vacation spot?

England and Canada are my top two destination areas. For some reason those two places just feel like home to me. It's hard to define why they feel like home, they just do. Vermont is another place that feels this way.


What's on your playlist right now?

My favorite band is definitely The Beatles, so they are ALWAYS in rotation on my playlist. Currently I'm listening to my favorite album from them, "Revolver".

Do you have any advice for aspiring voice-over talent?


Always remember that your listener comes first. Perform your scripts with that in mind. Also, if you think you've practiced enough…you probably haven't!


Written by:
Bethany Baker
Such A Voice Marketing Director

No comments:

Post a Comment